Skip to main content
Careers    Contact Us    Volunteer    Locations
More Events

Special Services at Home (SSAH)

The Special Services at Home (SSAH) program helps families who are caring for a child with a developmental or physical disability. It is funded and managed by the Ministry of Community and Social Services. For more information and an application form, please visit the Government of Ontario Special Services at Home website.

Frequently Asked Questions
How can I use my Special Services at Home funding?
How do I determine how much to pay my SNW?

How can I use my Special Services at Home funding?

Typically funding is used for 2 purposes:
1. Hiring a Special Needs Worker (SNW)
  • SNWs are individuals who spend time directly with your child.  Some of their responsibilities may be: personal care (example: bathing, feeding, toileting), community outings (example: accompanying your child to the mall, movies, park, library), continuing with therapy goals as prescribed by your child’s therapist (example: stretching, communication strategies, puzzles, games – NOTE that the SNW can NOT be a therapist)
  • SNWs may also look after your other children in addition to, or separately from your child with special needs.  For example, if you are taking your child to a therapy appointment, you can hire a worker to watch your other children at home.
2. Programming/Community Activities
  • Programs which would increase your child’s development such as swimming lessons, dance classes, etc. 
  • Summer/March break camps AND 1:1 support worker at camp or recreational program
  • Out of Home Respite (example: Darling Home for Kids, Kerry’s Place Respite House, etc.)
  • Can NOT be used for therapy (example: speech therapy, IBI, occupational therapy etc.)
  • If you are unsure whether the program may qualify for reimbursement, please call Maggie Dima (ext. 2467) 

How do I find a Special Needs Worker (SNW)?
  • Look in your immediate area. Is there anyone who currently cares for your child? Do you have friends/neighbours/extended family members who might be interested? Ask at local schools; often teaching assistants may consider working as a SNW part-time. Ask local colleges, particularly programs focusing on child development (example: Early Childhood Educators etc)
  • – complete a family registration and you can access a database of potential workers. These workers have been screened, but you will still need to check their references and interview them. ErinoakKids does not provide or make specific recommendations regarding a special needs worker.
  • Create a job posting to share details of the position including your child’s age, your preferred times/days, job duties and any experience necessary.

How many SNWs can I hire?

You can hire as many SNWs as you require. Some families will hire SNWs who will provide occasional respite in addition to SNWs who will focus more on continuing therapy goals.

Are there certain qualifications a SNW needs to have?
  • Choose a worker who is a good match for your child/family and whose skills meet your child’s needs.
  • Family members need to be over the age of 18. Parents cannot be paid as a SNW for their own child.
  • You cannot hire a professional therapist.

What paperwork do I need to submit?

Click a link below to download each form.
5. Parent Reimbursement Authorization for Direct Deposit, as necessary
6. SSAH Invoice

How do I get reimbursed for programs/activities?
  • Ensure that you have completed the Parent Direct DepositForm.
  • Complete an invoice indicating “See Attached Receipt” and staple the receipt to the invoice.
  • Don’t forget to sign the invoice.

How does my SNW get paid?
You decide who we will be paying. Sometimes it’s easiest if we pay your child’s SNW directly. However, there is also an option of reimbursing the parent after you have already paid your SNW.

1. Payment to SNW
  • Ensure that your SNW has completed the SNW information form and attached their banking information.
  • Complete invoice as per sample
    • Review dates and hours
    • In the ‘Payable To:’ box, check SNW.
    • Ensure that you and SNW have signed the invoice.  
    • Parents and SNWs should never sign a blank invoice.
2. Reimbursement to Parent
  • Ensure that you have submitted your banking information by completing Parent Direct Deposit Form
  • Complete invoice as per sample:
    • Review dates and hours
    • In the ‘Payable To:’ box, check Parent.
    • Ensure that you and SNW have signed the invoice.  
    • Parents and SNWs should never sign a blank invoice.
NOTE: Regardless of who is receiving the payment, we require the SNW to complete SNW information form AND the SNW release form

Can I use the funding for housekeeping/yardwork?

Yes, temporary help with routine homemaking tasks such as light housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grass cuts, and snow shoveling so that you have more time for your child with special needs or for other family activities.

What do I do if I need more invoices/worker packages?
Call Maggie Dima at 905-855-2690 ext 2467  

Who do I call to check my balance?

Call Maggie Dima at 905-855-2690 ext 2467  

How do I complete an invoice?
Follow the sample for details. The white copy is the original copy for submission; the yellow and pink copies are for your family and SNW’s records.

How do I submit my invoice?
All invoices, parent forms, worker’s forms, and banking information can be uploaded on our secure portal.
Faxed and/or emailed invoices will not be accepted.
SSAH invoices/forms can also be dropped off at our new locations in Mississauga, Halton or Brampton.

When are the invoices due?
  • Please refer to the payroll schedule.
  • We administer payments once per month. If your invoice is received on or before the first Friday of the month, you can expect a payment on the second Thursday of the same month.  
  • ALL invoices must be received by March 31 which is the end of the contract year. After that time, the funds will not be accessible.

How do I determine how much to pay my SNW?
  • Parents/Guardians are responsible to comply with the minimum wage requirements under the Employment Standards Act. In most circumstances, the average rate of pay will range from $14-$15/hour. On Jan. 1, 2018, the minimum wage increased to $14 per hour. The hourly rate should be based on the significance of your child’s needs, as well as, the experience and training (example: seizure protocol, g-tube feeding experience etc.) that your SNW may require.
  • The hourly rate is not necessarily fixed and can change over time. This is up to the parent.

Did you know?

Did you know that children with hearing loss require three times the exposure to learn new words and concepts?

Read about Infant Hearing Services

Contact Information

  ErinoakKids Locations
  (905) 855.2690
  1 (877) 374.6625

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram
© 2019 - ErinoakKids Centre for Treatment and Development - All rights reserved
Sitemap | Privacy Policy | For Staff | About Website | Website Design and Development by Inorbital