School Based Rehabilitation Services (SBRS)
What is SBRS?
School Based Rehabilitation Services (SBRS) include Occupational Therapy (OT), Physical Therapy (PT) and some Speech Language Pathology (SLP) in publicly funded schools. The goal of SBRS is to support student participation in school curriculum.
Who Supports SBRS?
- OT/PT services include consultation for safety, mobility, access and participation in school activities.
- SLP services include support for some speech difficulties. This includes articulation/phonology disorders, voice disorders and dysfluency.
ErinoakKids manages SBRS for areas that used to be supported by the Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs). This includes the Mississauga Halton LHIN
, Central West LHIN
and Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant LHIN
The LHINs continue to provide School Health Support Services (SHSS) for school Nursing and Dietetics in these areas.
For the 2019/2020 school year
- SBRS OT, PT and SLP in school is delivered by service provider organizations. ErinoakKids works with SE Health, Closing the Gap, CBI Health Group, VHA Home HealthCare and 1 to 1 Rehab.
- New! Some services in Halton and Dufferin will be provided by CBI Health Group only until December 31, 2019. CBI Health Group decided that in 2020 will no longer be able to provide occupational therapy and physiotherapy in Halton and Dufferin, and Speech Therapy in Burlington. Because of this, on January 1, 2020 ErinoakKids will take over provision of those services directly. These services include occupation and physiotherapy in Halton and Dufferin, and Speech Therapy in Burlington.
For the 2020/2021 school year
Who is Eligible for SBRS?
- SBRS OT, PT and SLP in school will be delivered by ErinoakKids therapists, beginning September 8, 2020.
Your child’s school can tell you if your child is eligible for this service. The student must be registered and attending a publicly funded school within ErinoakKids SBRS catchment area.
Some therapy services are also provided by school boards and other organizations. Where a school board provides OT, PT and/or SLP services for specific needs, your child may not be eligible for SBRS.
How do I Refer to SBRS?
If your child is eligible for service, your child’s school can complete the SBRS ErinoakKids referral forms. These referrals can be sent to ErinoakKids Intake (see below for contact information) by your child’s school. All referrals will be reviewed for eligibility.
When Will My Child Receive Service Through SBRS?
Your child’s needs are important. Each referral is reviewed by the SBRS team and will be prioritized for service based on safety and access needs in the school. Students will be placed on the waiting list in the order that the referral was received. Waiting lists vary based on the type of service that is needed. A child may wait up to one or two years for SBRS. Every effort will be made to have your child seen as quickly as possible.
Contacts / Questions
Address: 10145 McVean Drive, Brampton, ON L6P 4K7
Phone: 905-855-2690 ext. 1