Speech and Language Services
The speech and language team supports the prevention, identification, assessment, treatment, and the (re)habilitation of speech, language and swallowing/feeding disorders.
Speech disorders include difficulty with production of speech sounds, stuttering (or fluency) and voice/resonance disorders.
Language disorders can affect the ability to understand others and/or express thoughts, ideas and feelings at a level consistent with developmental expectations.
If you have concerns about your child's speech and language development, you can complete the Communication Checkup for an assessment.
Speech and language services may include:
- Home programming
- Consultation to caregivers, professionals and supportive personnel who interact with the child
- Group or individual therapy combined with parent education and coaching
Intervention focuses on skill development as well as on creating environments that promote optimal communication.
A referral is required to access this service:
- Children from birth to August 31 of junior kindergarten (JK) year with speech and/or language problems
- Referrals for SLP only services will be accepted up to August 31 of the year they are eligible to enter junior kindergarten (JK). If a child previously received speech and language services at ErinoakKids or any Ontario PSL program and was discharged, he/she can be re-referred up to April 1 of his/her JK year
- Must live in Peel or Halton
Get Adobe Reader
Did you know?
Did you know that you can expect to hear a child’s first words by his or her first birthday?
Learn about Speech and Language Therapy at ErinoakKids