Preschool Speech and Language Services
The speech and language team supports the prevention, identification, assessment, treatment, and the (re)habilitation of speech, language and swallowing/feeding disorders.
Speech disorders include difficulty with production of speech sounds, stuttering (or fluency) and voice/resonance disorders.
Language disorders can affect the ability to understand others and/or express thoughts, ideas and feelings at a level consistent with developmental expectations.
If you have concerns about your child's speech and language development, you can complete the Communication Checkup for an assessment.
Speech and language services may include:
- Home programming
- Consultation to caregivers, professionals and supportive personnel who interact with the child
- Group or individual therapy combined with parent education and coaching
Intervention focuses on skill development as well as on creating environments that promote optimal communication.
A referral is required to access this service:
- Children from birth to June 30 of the year they enter junior kindergarten (JK) with speech and/or language problems
- Referrals for Preschool Speech and Language Services (PSL) will be accepted up to June 30 of the year the child is eligible to enter JK. If a child previously received speech and language services at ErinoakKids or any Ontario PSL program, the child can be referred to the program again, up until April 1 of the year that they are about to enter JK.
- Must live in Peel or Halton
Get Adobe Reader
Did you know?
Did you know that there is a difference between “speech” (the sounds we make) and “language” (the rules we follow to communicate)?
Learn about Speech and Language Therapy at ErinoakKids