arrow_back close

SSAH Frequently Asked Questions

How can I use my Special Services at Home funding?

Typically funding is used for two purposes:
1. Hiring a Special Needs Worker (SNW)
  • SNWs are individuals who spend time directly with your child.  Some of their responsibilities may be: personal care (example: bathing, feeding, toileting), community outings (example: accompanying your child to the mall, movies, park, library), continuing with therapy goals as prescribed by your child’s therapist (example: stretching, communication strategies, puzzles, games – NOTE that the SNW can NOT be a therapist)
  • SNWs may also look after your other children in addition to, or separately from your child with special needs.  For example, if you are taking your child to a therapy appointment, you can hire a worker to watch your other children at home.
2. Programming/Community Activities
  • Programs which would increase your child’s development such as swimming lessons, dance classes, etc. 
  • Summer/March break camps AND 1:1 support worker at camp or recreational program
  • Out of Home Respite
  • Temporary help with routine homemaking tasks such as light housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grass cuts and snow shoveling so that you have more time for your child with special needs or for other family activities.
  • Can NOT be used for therapy (example: speech therapy, IBI, occupational therapy etc.)
  • If you are unsure whether the program may qualify for reimbursement, please call our SSAH Client Financial Service Clerk at 905-855-2690 ext. 2467
How do I complete an invoice?
Follow this sample for details. 
How do I submit my invoice?
All invoices, parent forms, worker’s forms, and banking information can be uploaded on our secure portal.
Faxed and/or emailed invoices will not be accepted.
SSAH invoices/forms can also be dropped off at our locations in Mississauga, Oakville or Brampton.
Who do I call to check my balance?
Call our SSAH Client Financial Service Clerk at 905-855-2690 ext 2467.
How do I find a Special Needs Worker (SNW)?
  • Look in your immediate area. Is there anyone who currently cares for your child? Do you have friends/neighbours/extended family members who might be interested? Ask at local schools; often teaching assistants may consider working as a Special Needs Worker part-time. Ask local colleges, particularly programs focusing on child development (example: Early Childhood Educators etc)
  • – complete a family registration and you can access a database of potential workers. These workers have been screened, but you will still need to check their references and interview them. ErinoakKids does not provide or make specific recommendations regarding a special needs worker.
  • Create a job posting to share details of the position including your child’s age, your preferred times/days, job duties and any experience necessary.
Are there certain qualifications a Special Needs Worker needs to have?
  • Choose a worker who is a good match for your child/family and whose skills meet your child’s needs.
  • Family members need to be over the age of 18.
  • The child's parents or main caregivers cannot be paid as a Special Needs Wordker for their own child, regardless of residence.
  • You cannot hire a professional therapist.
How do I determine how much to pay my Special Needs Worker?
Parents/Guardians are responsible to comply with the minimum wage requirements under the Employment Standards Act

Currently, minimum wage in Ontario is $16.55. Effective October 1, 2024, it will be $17.20 per hour.

The hourly rate should be based on the significance of your child’s needs as well as the experience and training (example: seizure protocol, g-tube feeding experience etc.) that your Special Needs Worker may require.
How does my Special Needs Worker get paid?
You decide who we will be paying. Sometimes it’s easiest if we pay your child’s Special Needs Worker (SNW) directly. However, there is also an option of reimbursing the parent after you they already paid their SNW.

1. Payment to SNW
  • Ensure that your SNW has completed the SNW information form and attached their banking information.
  • Complete invoice as per sample
    • Review dates and hours
    • In the ‘Payable To:’ box, check SNW.
    • Ensure that you and SNW have signed the invoice.  
    • Parents and SNWs should never sign a blank invoice.

2. Reimbursement to Parent
  • Ensure that you have submitted your banking information by completing Parent Direct Deposit Form
  • Complete invoice as per sample:
    • Review dates and hours
    • In the ‘Payable To:’ box, check Parent.
    • Ensure that you and SNW have signed the invoice.  
    • Parents and SNWs should never sign a blank invoice.
NOTE: Regardless of who is receiving the payment, we require the SNW to complete SNW information form AND the SNW release form.
How many Special Needs Workers can I hire?
You can hire as many SNWs as you require. Some families will hire SNWs who will provide occasional respite in addition to SNWs who will focus more on continuing therapy goals.
What do I do if I need more invoices/worker packages?
Call our SSAH Client Financial Service Clerk at 905-855-2690 ext. 2467