Early Childhood Resource Services
The information on this page pertains to families who live in Peel region. As Early Childhood Resource Services in Halton and Dufferin are not provided by ErinoakKids, please follow the links below for information on these services in other regions:
PIRS is a partnership between special needs resourcing programs and licensed child care providers that offer services to families and children before they start school.
PIRS is committed to supporting:
- Children with special needs in licensed centre and home-based child care programs in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga
- Early identification of children who may benefit from resource consultant support.
- Child care programs by providing resources and coaching so that all children can participate fully in child care
Who can receive PIRS supports?
Children with special needs or identified as needing extra support who attend, or plan to attend licensed child care in Peel and would benefit from resource support
How does PIRS support my child and family?
Families are connected to a Resource Consultant from one of five special needs resourcing programs. This consultant will work closely with you to understand your needs and support your child to have a positive child care experience. The Resource Consultant will:
- Create a plan with you and the child care provider that focuses on your child’s strengths and areas of development
- Share ideas and strategies to use in child care and your home
- Build on the child care provider’s strengths to support the inclusion of all children
- Provide resources and information about other services that would benefit your family
- Support your child’s transition from child care to school, and to service coordination, if appropriate
How do I start the referral process?
- If your child attends child care, speak to your child care provider. They will connect you with a supervisor who will arrange a meeting with the Resource Consultant assigned to your centre, who will assist you to complete the referral.
- If you are looking for child care, call the Region to complete the referral and, if required, discuss your child care needs.
- You can also ask your doctor or other professional to start the referral process and PIRS will call you to complete the referral.
- All referrals for PIRS will go through PIRS Intake.
What else do I need to know?
How do I contact PIRS?
- Child care fee subsidy is available to families who qualify to help with the cost of child care
PIRS is part of Peel’s Special Needs Strategy
and a partnership between:
Did you know?
Did you know that babies are most alert four to six hours after birth? That is when communication should begin.
Read about Infant Hearing Services